Honorees stand, raising right hands, at military awards ceremony as family and friends seated at red tables look on

Military and Military-Affiliated

Military Friendly GOLD School 23-24 badge

For over 50 years, Saint Martin's has supported the educational journeys of our active military, veterans and their families. We understand the immense value your skills and experiences add to our community, and we are on a mission to provide you with the support you need to transform yourself personally and professionally, during your time of service and beyond. 

Below you'll find information about our program offerings, including undergraduate, graduate and certificate programs at our main Lacey campus and Saint Martin's-JBLM campus. You'll also find information about academic resources, career planning, financial aid, and other student services.

Follow to catch all the events from the Veterans Center and the Veterans Club!

Did you know?

Saint Martin's, a Military Friendly庐 Gold Status university, was the first designated Purple Heart University in Washington State.

Choose your program

Book icon

Lacey campus programs

Undergraduate and graduate degrees and certificate programs

Students at JBLM

JBLM campus programs

Undergraduate and graduate degrees and certificate programs

IT and computer science icon


16-week program focusing on computer science and IT

Reverse image of an open door

Ready to apply?

We're excited that you're ready to continue your educational journey!

Getting started

Ready to learn how you will make a positive difference in your life and in the lives of others through the interaction of faith, reason and service?

Start your application

For more information visit the .

- Pays tuition and mandatory fees directly to university depending on eligibility. Saint Martin's will not participate in accelerated pay if student is using Chapter 33. The VA pays directly to the school; tuition and fees should not be reported to the VA prior to bills being assessed to ensure accuracy of tuition and fees.

- Pays monthly stipend* directly to student.

- Pays tuition, mandatory fees, mandatory books and supplies directly to university. Students in this program opt out of the SMU Textbook Program.

- Pays monthly stipend* directly to student. Dependents approved to utilize benefits must also apply for benefits online through the VA website. You will receive notification of the dependent transfer approval. As a private institution, Saint Martin's does not participate in the State Tuition Waiver program. This means that the Chapter 35 or DEA Program does not pay tuition and mandatory fees.

- Pays monthly stipend* directly to student.

- Pays monthly stipend* directly to student.

* Monthly stipend is not equal to the amount of tuition and mandatory fees. Stipend is only for the months enrolled in classes.

GI Bill is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the .

To receive VA benefits, you must follow the steps below:

  1. After you apply for admission, . The VA requires up to 30-45 days (about one and a half months) to process any paperwork submitted. Once eligibility and rate of percentage has been determined, a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is mailed to your home address.
  2. Bring your COE to the Saint Martin's Registrar's Office (Old Main 245). If you are attending classes at Saint Martin's-JBLM, scan and email your COE to the VA Certifying Official, Mercedes Garrido, at veterans.services@stmartin.edu.

    Note: if you are a transfer student and have used your benefits at a prior institution, you need to provide a copy of the COE and fill out the . Dependents approved to utilize benefits must also apply for benefits online through the . The dependent will receive notification of the transfer approval. 
  3. Prior to registration, you will need to meet with your advisor to make sure you are registering for the proper classes, meeting degree requirements and making progress towards graduation. The VA benefit only pays for classes required or prerequisites for required courses. Please submit any military and prior college transcripts to ensure no classes are accidentally retaken, which are uncovered by the VA.
  4. Complete the VA Certification and submit online. This is the only way the VA Certifying Official will know you plan to attend Saint Martin's and want to use your benefits. You cannot get certified without this form. After submitting the Request for Certification form, you will be certified electronically by the VA Certifying Official to the VA.

    Contact the VA Certifying Official by email veterans.services@stmartin.edu or phone at 360-438-4356 to answer any questions regarding the process of applying, understanding your benefits, or certification.

    You will have to fill out this form to use your VA benefits, otherwise you will not be certified. The only exception to this rule is Vocational Rehabilitation (VR&E) students - they do not need to submit a form because their counselor sends their verification every semester.

Note: The VA Certifying Official is not an academic advisor or a VA employee. The university cannot override VA policies or determine VA eligibility, nor does the university control the issuance of VA educational benefits; however, academic decisions may impact your educational benefits, so we will help you with this decision-making process. If you have questions regarding the processing of your paperwork through the regional office, please contact:

VA Regional Benefit Office
125 South Main Street
Muskogee, OK 74401

Saint Martin's Veterans Certification Policy

For veterans certification the veteran or dependent must provide a certificate of eligibility prior to being certified. They must first be registered for courses that they are being certified. 成人抖音 will not pre-certify for courses in advanced, students must be registered under advisor approval. Saint Martin成人抖音will not participate in accelerated pay if student is using Chapter 33. The VA pays directly to the school, tuition and fees should not be reported to the VA prior to bills being assessed to ensure accuracy of tuition and fees. If student is certified prior to proof of entitlement and registration the student may incur debt to the VA, which will become the student成人抖音responsibility not the institution. The VA certifying official is responsible for reporting tuition and fees directly to the VA and must keep records as accurate as possible so the student is not liable for mistakes by the institution, VA and certifying official.

In compliance with PL115-407, no Saint Martin's University students will be monetarily or academically penalized due to late VA payments. VA payments are defined as money received by the institution to be paid toward a student成人抖音tuition and eligible fees.

Academic information

View the academic calendar for Saint Martin's Lacey and JBLM campuses.

View the academic catalog for more program details.

Whether you are located in Washington or out of state, you may be able to finish your degree requirements online鈥攁nd graduate! Stay connected with your instructors and your classmates using our online learning environment, .


Saint Martin's offers over 100 online courses in such subject areas as:

  • Accounting, business administration  

  • Art, English, writing, theatre arts  

  • Criminal justice, legal studies  

  • Computer science, math

  • Economics, history, political science  

  • Philosophy, religious studies  

  • Psychology, sociology   

Online degrees

Currently, Saint Martin's offers psychology as a fully online bachelor's degree program.

Are online courses right for me?

If the statements below describe you, there is a good chance you will find Saint Martin's University's online courses to be a good fit:

  • I prefer to figure out course and assignment instructions on my own.

  • I have good reading comprehension and I am comfortable expressing myself in writing.

  • I am comfortable learning how to use new software and technologies.

  • I take the initiative to ask for assistance when needed.

  • I am an organized student and often do assignments ahead of time.

  • I can continue the learning process without immediate feedback.

  • I enjoy doing academic research using online sources.

Learn more about our ROTC program.


View military and military-affiliated tuition rates.

You may receive a statement from Student Financial Services even if you are 100% covered by your VA Educational Benefits or the Yellow Ribbon Program. This is not a bill: it is a statement giving you details about your account. If you have any questions or concerns about your statement, contact Student Financial Services (located in Old Main 201B) at accounts@stmartin.edu.

Housing allowance

To receive the full housing allowance, you must maintain fulltime status as defined below. The VA does not pay during breaks throughout the school year, and the VA pays a month behind. For example, if you begin classes in August, you will not receive August payment until September 1.

Undergraduate spring and fall semester status
12-18 semester hours Fulltime
9-11 semester hours 3/4 time
6-8 semester hours 1/2 time
4-5 semester hours Less than 1/2 time
1-3 semester hours 1/4 time
Undergraduate summer term status

6 week session

5-12 semester hours Fulltime
4 semester hours 3/4 time
3 semester hours 1/2 time
1-2 semester hours 1/4 time

 12 week session

8-12 semester hours Fulltime
6-7 semester hours 3/4 time
3-5 semester hours 1/2 time
1-2 semester hours 1/4 time

In order to be paid full Basic Housing Allowance (BAH), students must be enrolled in at least one face to face course when taking online courses. If a student enrolls strictly online, the student will only be entitled to 50% of the BAH. To receive any BAH, a student must be considered 51% enrolled (over halftime).

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. Saint Martin's is a Yellow Ribbon school and does not cap the number of students who can participate. 

If you qualify for the Post-9/11 benefit at the 100% rate (including spouses), you will automatically qualify for the program. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree-granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the maximum cap for the year and ensure the students' tuition and fees are covered at the 100% rate. You must take courses required of an approved degree plan or program and no additional paperwork is required to participate. If you have questions contact the VA Certifying Official or check the .

It is strongly recommended that students using VA benefits still apply for financial aid. In some cases, you are still eligible for grants (federal money that does not need to be paid back), even it you are covered at 100% or for loans. You have the right to deny any unwanted aid.

Learn how to apply for financial aid

View available scholarships here. Some of our military-affiliated scholarships include:

When a student terminates or reduces after the the add/drop period and a non-punitive grade is assigned (W), the VA will not pay for the course(s) in question unless there is adequate evidence of a mitigating circumstance. Examples of mitigating circumstances include:

  • An illness or death in the student's immediate family
  • An illness or injury afflicting the student during the enrollment period
  • An unavoidable change in the student's conditions of employment
  • An unavoidable geographical transfer resulting from the student's employment
  • Immediate family financial obligations beyond the claimant's control that require them to suspend pursuit of the education program in order to obtain employment
  • Discontinuance of course by the school
  • Unanticipated active military service, including active duty for training
  • Unanticipated difficulties with childcare arrangements the student has made for the period during which he or she is attending class

In some instances, the VA may not grant you mitigating circumstances and hold you responsible for repayment of course. You can appeal to the VA up to three times. For more information, .

If you attended any percentage of the course and drop after the first day of class, the VA will send you a debt letter. If you drop prior to the first day of class, Saint Martin's will receive the letter and pay the debt. If you receive a debt letter, please contact Student Financial Services before you make payment. If you withdraw from classes, please notify the VA Certifying Official (veterans.services@stmartin.edu) and your academic advisor immediately.

The deadlines for adding a course, dropping a course with and without refunds and withdrawing from a course with a grade of "W" are listed in each course schedule and academic calendar.

If you are using , please be sure to drop your class through their system as well. This will send a notification to the Saint-Martin's-JBLM office and ensure you have been properly dropped from the course.

When in doubt, please contact your advisor or the registrar's office.

Resources for veterans and military-affiliated members

For Lacey campus:

The Center for Student Success is located in the lower level of the O'Grady Library and offers individualized coaching for writing, student success workshops, and peer tutoring in a variety of subjects. Many of these services are also available through email so be sure to check out what they have to offer.

For JBLM campus:

Consult advisors located at the on JBLM-Main.

The Center for Student Success, located on the Lacey campus, is also available to JBLM students. It offers individualized coaching for writing, student success workshops, and peer tutoring in a variety of subjects. Many of these services are also available through email or zoom, so be sure to check out what they have to offer.

For Lacey and JBLM campus:
VA Assistance for tutoring

This is a supplement to your regular education benefit. Tutorial assistance is available if you are receiving VA educational assistance at the half-time or greater rate and have a deficiency in a subject, making tutoring necessary.

Available benefit and eligibility

The monthly rate of tutorial assistance may not exceed the cost of tutoring or $100. The maximum amount payable is $1,200.

There is no entitlement charge for the first $600 under the Montgomery GI Bill. There is no entitlement charge under the Post-9/11 GI Bill or DEA.


All the following criteria must be met for a student to be eligible for tutorial assistance:

  • The student must be in a postsecondary program half-time or more. For the Post-9/11 GI Bill, rate of pursuit must be at least 50%.
  • The student must have a deficiency in a course that is part of his or her approved program.
  • The student must be enrolled in the course during the quarter, semester, or term in which the tutoring is received for the course. Tutoring may not occur between quarters or semesters.

Note that this benefit is not available under CH 1607-REAP.


The student, tutor and certifying official must complete Application and Enrollment Certification for (VA Form 22-1900t). The application may be submitted at the end of each month or combination of months. The application must be signed and dated on or after the date of the last tutoring session certified.

Currently, all DoD (Department of Defense) service members, civilian personnel, military spouses and all dependent family members from kindergarten to college/adult can use the program at zero cost.

GI Bill is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the .

Where to get the pass

You can obtain an eight-week pass at the McChord or JBLM-Main visitors' center, depending on where your classes are held. Be sure to arrive at the respective location a few hours early on the first day of class. 

For McChord Education Center, use the visitors' center at McChord main gate, exit 125. For classes at Stone Education Center, use the visitors' center at JBLM-Main, exit 120.

What you'll need to obtain your temporary base pass:
  • Your enhanced driver's license OR passport with driver's license,

  • Vehicle registration,

  • Current proof of insurance, and

  • Saint Martin's course schedule (Go to the Self-Service finance tab, and print a student statement that shows current courses, or request a copy from a Saint Martin's-JBLM office.)

View resources for launching your post-military career. 

Connect with the Center for Career and Calling for personalized support.

Visit the veterans resources page on , the virtual Career Center.

Network access is needed for university email, Self-Service, Stellic and Moodle. Even one-time or part-time students need access because official university email communication is only done via Saint Martin's email, not your personal email. Please check your Saint Martin's email regularly.

How to get a network account

Once you are accepted to Saint Martin's, a request will be sent to ITS to create your network account. 

Within two business days of your request, you should receive your network username at the email address you designated on your application. 

Activate your account by choosing a new network password of at least six characters (the password to begin is smu xxxx, where xxxx is the last four digits of your student ID number).

Need help logging in? 

Submit a help request to ITS, including your Saint Martin's ID number and a description of the issue. 

If the issue involves your Saint Martin's email, be sure to periodically check your alternative email. This will be the main form of communication for ITS if you cannot log in to your email. 

Saint Martin's University Bookstore

Located on Lacey campus, the  has a website where you will be able to insert course information (e.g., term, section, department) to find required course materials. Please be sure to select the correct section; different sections of the same course may have different books.

SMU Textbook Program

All degree-seeking students, undergraduate and graduate, are automatically enrolled in the SMU Textbook Program, a rental program that gives you access to all your course materials. You'll save 30-50% on the cost of the course materials each semester and get all your textbooks before the first day of classes.

Students using Chapter 33

If you are a Chapter 33 Yellow Ribbon student entitled to 100% of your educational benefit, typically you pay out of pocket for books and get reimbursed later by the VA up to $1,000 per academic year. This does not apply to Chapter 33 less than 100%.

Students using Chapter 31 Vocational Rehab (VR&E)

Students utilizing VR&E have counselors who assist the student in receiving housing allowance, tuition and fees, books, supply stipends and any additional supplies that may be needed outside of the maximum supply cost allotted. Counselors send proof of benefit to the VA Certifying Official every semester for certification. VR&E students do not need to fill out the electronic Request for VA Certification since their counselor sends approvals on their behalf. Students who need books should go to the bookstore directly to pick up books and supplies; these accounts will open two weeks before classes begin. For course materials, students get $75 per an 8-week term or 16-week semester. Please contact your Vocational Rehab Counselor if you need additional funding for supplies.

In some instances, if students are accepted late or their authorization is sent late, they may not be on the bookstore list. If this is the case, students should contact Student Financial Services at 360-688-2180 or accounts@stmartin.edu to check on their status.

The Veterans Center, located on the Lacey main campus, supports all military and military-affiliated students. This is the place to find on- and off-campus resources, instant camaraderie and strong community support. In addition to providing support and referrals, the Veterans Center staff also offer campus events and programs that benefit veterans.

For academic assistance issues, please contact our Veteran Student Success Advisor, Deborah Conn, at dconn@stmartin.edu.

For questions about other veteran services and the Vet Club, contact Jorge Castillon-Sierra, Program Manager, at jcastillonsierra@stmartin.edu.

Interested in getting involved on campus and connecting with fellow veterans? Meet new club officers and fellow veterans, be notified of upcoming events and check out past events by following the

For questions about the Veterans Club, contact Jorge Castillon-Sierra, Program Manager, at jcastillonsierra@stmartin.edu.


  • Find out how much of my education benefits are remaining?
    Students are only certified for the semesters they have registered for, and by the specific dates in the term. For example, if you are an extension campus student taking 8-week terms you are only certified for the term, not the breaks in between the terms. The VA keeps track of how much benefit a student has remaining and notifies them of any changes. You can go online to check your (Post-9/11), which shows how much of your benefits you've used and how much is left.

  • Find out why I'm not getting scholarships that were indicated in my financial aid letter?
    Generally, award letters may be indicating anticipated awards depending on how you were admitted to the university. If you qualify for 100% VA benefits, you are not eligible for Saint Martin's scholarships. However, if you use up all your benefits or your eligibility rates change, you can request that your scholarships be reinstated by contacting the Office of Financial Aid and either filling out a FAFSA or a FAFSA waiver.

  • Find out what to do if I haven't received payment yet?
    First, check that a Request for Certification form was completed and turned into the VA Certifying Official. If all proper paperwork has been turned in and you still haven't received payment, contact the VA about any questions referring to payments, processing of paperwork, and debt letters at 1-888-442-4551.

  • Find out why I am still getting a bill when I am covered at 100%?
    You will receive a statement until your balance is paid in full, either by the VA or by the student depending on the charges. If you still have questions, contact the registrar's office.

  • Find out what happens if I change my enrollment?
    If you make any schedule changes, contact the VA Certifying Official as soon as possible so the changes can be reported to the VA. If you add or drop within the 100% period (check deadline date), you will not be responsible for changes in your tuition and fees. If you choose to withdraw from a class, the VA will cover the first withdrawal (up to 6 credits). Any later withdrawals will be the responsibility of the student, unless the student can prove the withdrawal occurred due to mitigating circumstances. All mitigating circumstances are determined by the VA. The student may be asked to repay the book and housing stipends after an adjustment is made because the amount for the stipends is based on the number of credit hours the student is taking. To avoid these problems, talk to your advisor before making changes and then notify the VA Certifying Official immediately after changes are made.

  • Find out if there are certain classes I can't take while using the GI Bill?
    The VA will only pay for courses within the student's degree plan. If you take a course outside of your degree plan you may be asked to pay the VA back the charges for the class, the book stipend, and the BAH allotted to you during that period of enrollment. To ensure that you are taking courses within your degree plan please talk to your advisor and refer to the academic catalog found online. The only exception for this rule is if it is the your last term of attendance. As long as you are taking one course required for their degree plan, you are able to choose any other elective credits to remain full time.

  • Find out what happens if I have tuition assistance and VA Benefits?
    Students may combine VA benefits and tuition assistance as long as the combined benefits do not total more than 100% of the actual cost of tuition and fees. Both benefits cannot give a refund or pay 100% for the same class.

  • Request an incomplete grade? 
    Fill out an Incomplete Grade Request form and ask your instructor to approve. Then submit the form to your advisor. Make sure you understand the work required and the deadline date for completion. You will be allowed one regular semester, following the semester you received an Incomplete (I) grade, to complete all coursework.

  • Request to enroll in more than 18 credits in a semester? 
    Complete the Maximum Credit Exception Request form and submit to your advisor.

  • Order a copy of my official Saint Martin's transcript? 
    Submit a complete Official Transcript Request form to the Registrar. Saint Martin's-JBLM offices cannot process official transcript requests; this must be through the Office of the Registrar at the Lacey campus.

  • Change my major? Add a minor?
    Before changing majors, discuss with your advisor to ensure that your intended major is offered at your home campus, Lacey or Saint Martin's-JBLM. Ask your advisor to show you all the requirements for the new major and how your classes will transfer. To finalize your decision, submit a completed Change Form to your advisor.

  • Request to enroll in a main campus (Lacey) course? Submit a request to enroll in other school form to either of the Saint Martin's-JBLM's offices.

  • Apply for re-admission? 
    You will need to submit a completed if you have not been enrolled in Saint Martin's classes for a semester or more. If you have taken any classes at other colleges or universities during your time away from Saint Martin's you will need to submit an official transcript from that institution to earn transfer credit. 

  • Apply for graduation? 
    Your final step to receiving your degree is to apply for graduation. Be sure to communicate with your advisor to ensure you have completed everything required for your degree or program. There are deadlines set by the Registrar for all graduation applications. Check out the graduation application and additional information.

Other questions?
Refer to the other sections on this page for other frequently asked questions, or contact the Veterans Services team:
Jorge Castillon-Sierra | jcastillonsierra@stmartin.edu
Deborah Conn | dconn@stmartin.edu

GI Bill is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the .


成人抖音 awarded Center of Excellence for Veteran Student Success Grant from the U.S. Department of Education

LACEY, Wash. 鈥 成人抖音 received a three-year grant, totaling more than $580,000, from the U.S. Department of Education to increase support and programming for veterans. At Saint Martin's, veterans represent 9 percent of the student population. The Center of Excellence for Veteran Student Success (CEVSS) Program Grant will help serve veterans through holistic support, intentionally designed programs, and career and professional development resources.

Key offices

Office of the Registrar

The Office of the Registrar has many roles at the University, each designed to assist students as they pursue a lifetime of learning and accomplishment. Some of these roles include: registration functions (add/drop/withdrawals), transcript processing, enrollment verifications, VA certifications, and graduation processing and diplomas.

Office of Graduate Admissions

The Office of Graduate Admissions can assist you as you consider taking that next step in your educational journey. Saint Martin's University offers master's programs in accounting, business, computer science, counseling, education, and several engineering fields as well as a doctorate program in leadership. We also offer post-baccalaureate certificate programs to advance your career. Our counselors will guide you through the application process, find the resources and information you need, and make sure you feel at home on campus.

Saint Martin's-JBLM

The Saint Martin's University-Joint Base Lewis-McChord Campus is committed to providing life-long learning opportunities to busy adults in our local communities. Currently we serve a community of non-traditional students on Joint Base Lewis-McChord, with offices at JBLM-Main's Stone Education Center and McChord Field's Education Center.

Explore Military & Military Affiliated